If you are planning to buy one soon, having a fair knowledge about how juicers work will go a long way in helping you get the right juicer With many juicers out there and you need to understand their specific operations to get the one that suits your needs.
However, the general idea of what is involved when operating any juicer would be:
- Preparing your fruits and vegetables for the operation (preparations such as: washing, peeling and removing other unnecessary parts could be necessary).
- Putting the product into the juicer.
- And the juicer is operated when the product is made to run through the blades or teeth-like drill in the juicer.
- What remains is your fresh juice and the pulp. The pulp is left on the drainer or excused through a pulp outlet and the juice pass through a tube into a juice jug attached to the juicer.
Basically, these juicers can be mainly classified into two with regard to functionalities such as speed, the quantity and quality of juice produced, their portability, the comfort you get when using the juicer, and their longevity.
The two main categories of juicers existing today are:
- Centrifugal juicers
- Masticating juicers.
Both have their perks, however, having a good understanding of their benefits and their downsides and how the juicers work will assist you a lot in deciding which product will satisfy your needs better.
Juicers under this category will give you what you desire in the twinkle of an eye. No kidding but there are some very fascinating centrifugal juicers that are designed for speed. Especially the ones that come with several speed modes, they will extract the juice from any fruit in almost a moment. This is good for you if you don’t have the luxury of time, you will really appreciate their speed rate.
Centrifugal juicers are made for fruits, anything softer than that is not their thing. They have large chutes and you can put a whole fruit in it without any stress. Just like the ceiling fan or your washing machine, these juicers work by spinning their blades at a very high speed shredding the fruit into little bits of pulps and filtering the juice from the pulp using a strainer.
The juice is extracted fast through the filtration process, however, their extreme speed also comes at a price because some heat is produced during the whole process reducing the quality and longevity of the juice and adding much froth to your juice. In fact, Even though some of them now have nice designs like the overheat shut-off, just to put the oxidation process in check, it is better to consume the juice as soon as possible to retain the nutrients left in the juice.
Apart from the noise they make during operation, centrifugal juicers are really durable and they offer much more comfort than the masticating juicers. They are easy to assemble and operate and they reduce the time for preparing the fruits to a few minutes, with their large chutes and fast blades. Many of the good centrifugal juicers also come with different speed modes offering a reverse speed mode that helps to remove any pulp that is stuck in the difficult parts of the juicers.
- They help to extract juice with their fast-rotating blades.
- Centrifugal juicers usually have a simple design making them easy to assemble and operate.
- They have a large chute which helps to reduce the time for preparing the fruits before operation.
- Many of them have different speed modes including a reverse mode which helps to reduce the discomfort of cleaning them.
- Centrifugal juicers are especially known for their cheap cost so you don’t require much cash to get this to your home.
- They are very durable and long-lasting giving every part of the juicer a long shelf life.
- Most parts of a centrifugal juicer are BPA free.
- Their speed helps in accelerating the oxidation process of the juice reducing the quality
- Most of them make a very loud noise during operation
- A lot of juice is not extracted there is still much pulp left after the shredding.
- The environment may get messier with their extreme speed except those that come with an anti-drip design.
- Much foam is produced after the extraction.
- Some parts of a centrifugal juicer are not dishwasher safe
These kinds of juicers are known for their low-speed operation which helps greatly in preserving the quality and many vitamins that might be contained in the juice. As a result, the juice can be preserved for as long as up to three days before they are consumed. However, you need some patience when using masticating juicers since only the very rare ones have close to a 90 rpm. Your patience pays in the end because you are able to get the highest amount of quality juice you can ever get leaving a little dry pulp behind.
Even though they do a good job when grinding other fruits, masticating juicers are made for vegetables. And this is because it operates by chewing or crushing the product with their auger extracting the juice into the container through a tiny holed mesh.
With the blades gone, operating them is safer to use and clean than the centrifugal juicers. But, there are many parts with many corners in masticating juicers than their counterparts, so there is some discomfort experienced when removing any stuck pulp.
Even though some of the masticating juicers now come with a large chute, a lot of time is required when operating them because most of them have small chutes and you have to cut the fruits into smaller parts before operating the juicer. Also, to maintain them for a long time, many juicers under this category require regular pause at intervals when operating them so they can not go on marathon operations.
Masticating juicers are very quiet when you operate them and they do a good job in getting you much fine juice just as you want them to do. But the truth of the matter is that you require more cash to get one of them into your house.
- They are usually designed with eco-friendly materials making them as silent as possible during any operation.
- Their slow operation helps a lot in preventing the oxidation process giving you quality juice you need.
- Their chewing operation helps to extract as much juice as possible making the pulp dryer and smaller than the ones in centrifugal juicers.
- They are durable and long-lasting if properly maintained.
- They are designed with the 7 segment spiral or drill which reduces any injury that might happen when operating them.
- The juice can be preserved for long after extraction.
You get just the pure juice with little or no froth produced on.
- The compact design and the slow operation reduces any spilling or mess that might occur when operating or cleaning it.
- Most parts of the masticating juicer are BPA free
- They are very slow in operation
- They have a small chute which increases the time needed to prepare the fruits for juice extraction.
- Masticating juicers have several parts that create some difficulty when cleaning them.
- They are fragile and cannot go on marathon operations.
- They are not as easy to assemble and operate unlike the centrifugal juicers
- Many of them are expensive to get.
- Some parts of a masticating juicer are not dishwasher safe
There is also the triturating juicer which comes with two augers or gears making it more expensive and effective in its operations. It is more or less like the masticating juicer in its operation because it is slow and steady so there is plenty of juice with less pulp after extraction. And juice produced is smoother and healthier because the slow operations prevent any possible oxidation that might reduce the quality of the juice.
From nutmeg to bananas and herbs to the various spices you need to grind, It does a really good job on any product you wish to refine whether hard, soft, small or big fruits. And it grinds vegetables and grass better than any existing juicer.
Another existing juicer is the handheld juicer. This one is slower and involves a lot more manual work when operating it. However, it is portable and very cheap, so you can get it anytime and use it anywhere. This kind of juicer is perhaps better for those who do not juice often or those who are beginners and do not mind all the time and efforts involved when extracting from juicers of this kind.
Every juicer works fine, it all depends on your preferences and matching them with which one will do the job better. And after gaining some familiarity with how these juicers work, and choosing which category is suitable for your needs, it is a wise step to go further in checking up on the customer reviews of which product you want to choose. This will guide you well on how to select the perfect juicer that will grant your desires.
Happy juicing ever after…